Friday, May 11, 2012

Lemon curd

Ingredients to make lemon curd

Lemon curd never really appeal to me. I mean let's start with the name itself: lemon is fine, curd...urrgghhh. There is a strong word association with turd, curdled milk, old fashion. None of which are appealing connotations. And what do you use it for...and how the hell do one finish a whole jar of it? I have no idea...Lemon curd is just not part of our kitchen vocabulary

DSC_0137

But that is besides the points, I made lemon curd last night...as in late last night when a sudden urge tells me to do something with the lemons we bought and no...don't chicken out and make lemon cake which is perfectly fine for another day but not at 9.34pm at night! So I hunt around online and lemon curd poped out as an option and I had all ingredients on hand. No backing out now!

lemon curd

I think of lemon curd as Kaya sour-puss sister. Kaya is definitely the 'sister that everyone loves, she can do no wrong, will marry her high school sweetheart and have 2.5 kids in the suburbs' while lemon curd is 'the sister with a bit more attitude, sometimes bitchy, most likely working in media type job with a partner...not married and stay in a brownstone house in Williamsburg' (uh oh..I think I just merge my imaginary life with lemon curd!) Anyway...back to Kaya and lemon curd, they share similar ingredient list but swap the coconut with lemons (obviously!) and add butter to the lemony mix.

I used this recipe because I have been following his blog for a while now, always salivating at his dishes from afar but never tried any of his recipes and I relate to his dare-devil attitude of cooking it on direct heat vs using a double-boiler. In my defense it was close to 10pm when I started cooking and I needed an easy, 1-pan kind of cooking.

DSC_0142

Taste wise....sweet with a sour citrusy kick, it has a lovely smooth velvety teture to it which I assume is from the butter which makes eating it directly from the jar fairly addictive. So far we have mixed it in with yogurt and embarassingly directly from the jar when in need of a sugar kick. The yield is fairly limited from the recipe so I think I will have to make another batch soon....I can't believe we never had lemon curd at home - oh what wasted years....

No comments:

Post a Comment